Monday, October 11, 2010

Additional Assignment #2

1. What do you think? If learners are motivated, can they teach themselves?
Yes! I think that if you are willing and motivated you can teach yourself almost anything!
2. If those motivated learners are kids, can they teach themselves?
Yes! Kids are naturally curious little beings. Children, also have more patience than your average adult.
3. What conditions are necessary for kids to teach themselves? For anyone to teach him or herself?
The learner must be motivated to learn. If the child or adult is not motivated to learn, your are moat likely not going to get very much out of them.
4. What role do computers and internet access play in the process?
Computers and internet access play a huge role in this process. It allows people to have access to information they may not otherwise know or have access to.
5. What role does motivation, a desire to learn?
Motivation plays a huge role in learning. As a teacher, you should always want to keep your students motivated.
6. What roles do a problem, a question or multiple problems or questions play in the process?
People often give up when they run across a problem or a question. We live in a generation where we want someone to do things for us when we run across a problem or a question. The child must be motivated to learn and to take the time to figure something out. For example, the little girl in the video taught herself to become the teacher. She helped others to learn something that even she did not initially understand.
7. How do you motivate someone to learn?
You must make the subject matter to be learned as interesting as possible. You also must give someone the freedom to learn on their own. Allow students to work together on computers and research questions and answers.
8. How are you motivated to learn?
I am motivated to learn because I am ready to graduate! Honestly, EDM310 has motivated me to learn because I know that the knowledge I gain from this class will help my students a lot one day. I want to be able to share my knowledge with them.
9. Can anyone who is not motivated to learn learn?
Yes, I believe they can. However, it is not as effective as someone that is motivated to learn. A motivated student is more willing to do extra work and know the material in more detail. Whereas, a non-motivated student is more apt to try and memorize it simply for a grade.
10. Do you teach yourself? When? Why?
Yes!! EDM310 is a prime example of teaching yourself. I rarely have time to come in the lab for assistance. Therefore, it is a lot of trial and error. This class has motivated me to explore things on the internet and my computer that I have never thought of or even heard or before.
11. What role does a teacher (either answer generally or use a specific example) play in your learning?
I, personally, like to have a teacher present because you get their point of view on the material. If it is a lecture class you could always read the book and know what is going on, but by listening to the teacher you get more than just your own point of view.
12. What is the most important idea, question or emotional response you take away with you as a result of watching this video?
I think that it is amazing that he could go to another country and present a program that the children were not familiar with and allow them to learn how to work it on their own. That is amazing to me. The software was not even in their own language! I think that people in the U.S. need to watch this video. I think they will feel just silly afterward.
13. What other questions or issues are raised by this video that should be considered and discussed by aspiring teachers?
I think teachers should be inspired by this. They should discuss how to motivate their students. I think a lot of teachers forget the importance of keeping their students interested in the material being taught.

No comments:

Post a Comment