Sunday, October 31, 2010

Blog Post #10

School Bus


An Open Letter To Educators


This is a great post! She hits the nail right on the head with everything she says! We are, indeed, using the same teaching methods that were used when school first began. Times have changed. Why haven't we? I have heard for years that we use "burp back" methods, yet nothing has been done about it. When will people stop talking and actually do it?! I think that this class does a great job at helping us to become more independent learners. 

I feel like I can relate with everything she says. When you sit in a class and just expect to be able to repeat everything the teacher says is so boring and terrible! I hope that one day this trend will be broken!

Don't Let Them Take The Pencils Home

This was to tell us not to dwell on problems! Sometimes teachers focus so much on the negative side of things. I know that I had a teacher once and all she talked about were the bad grades in the class. There could have been 20 A's and 2 F's and her entire class period was focused on those two people who didn't do so well, while the rest of us were just sitting there listening to these poor kids being stricken in front of the class. I think the message is to remember the good that happens as well as the bad.

Two Questions That Can Change Your Life 

The first question was 'What is my sentence?'. I think this means if people had to summarize you in one sentence what would it be? I think mine would be 'She is a great teacher that enjoyed what she did everyday of her life.' Well, I would hope that's how people would remember me by. I know that I will enjoy my job. I love working with any kids in any school type environment. 

The other question was 'Was I better today than i was yesterday?'. This is a question that I have been taught to ask myself since I was a young child. This is instilled in my brain. This is a self evaluation. Everyone can improve everyday. No one is perfect. I think that everyone needs to remember that. Especially teachers. Every once in a while we get satisfied. My favorite thing to say is 'Never be Satisfied'. You always demand more of yourself. If you demand more of yourself, your students will do the same.

2 comments:

  1. "An Open Letter To Educators"- I definitely agree that this class has taught us to be independent learners. Things, along with times, have changed and we do need to adapt to a new way of learning. It's apparent that nations all over the world are changing their public education system.
    "Don't Let The Take The Pencils Home"- I also believe we need to focus on the positive rather than the negative. If we dwell on all of the bad things that happen to us, we can't be the best educators that we can be.
    "Two Questions That Can Change Your Life"-"Was I better today than I was yesterday?" That question really stuck out to me. It seems so important for us to strive to better people and educators. The better we are at that, the more effective we will be to teach students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Hailey!

    One day this trend will be broken. I think it is important for us as teachers and students to realize that we are all a part of a major transition period in education and we must take the good with the bad. Something as big as education can not change overnight but it can, and is in the process of changing. EDM 310 is a great example. This is only the third semester that this format has been attempted and it is getting better all the time. Just a little over two years ago I started with EDM 310 and it was very much still a traditional course. We have come a long way. So, taking a, “The glass is half-full,” position, I would say that this is a great time to be an educator as we are on the verge of an educational revolution the likes of which has never been seen before. I for one am delighted. SS

    ReplyDelete