Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Blog post #2!

DID YOU KNOW?
This video really makes you realize how much the world is growing. It is growing and expanding not only with population but also in technology. It also tells us how much the United States is not the leader in many of these things like many wold think.
There are many countries that are coming up with new and improved technologies and ways of learning in which the United States has not even thought of yet. One thing that really stuck out in my head was when it said that India has more honors students than the United States has students. This just shows us how quickly the world is growing and expanding.

MR. WINKLE WAKES
Some things never change. That is a great way to end this video. It is very true. In high school we began learning the basic skills of a computer. I am 21 years old and I have learned more about a computer in the two weeks of being in EDM310 than I ever have.
Technology plays a huge role in our society. If we do not teach our children in schools how to use them, how will we have responsible citizens in the future. However, before the students learn, teachers must learn. Our world revolves around computers and I believe that everyone should learn how to work one responsibly.

KEN ROBINSON SAYS SCHOOLS KILL CREATIVITY
Mr.Robinson believes that schools should incorporate more creativity into their curriculum. I agree with him in some ways and I don't in others. I believe that the core subjects are more important than others such as creativity subjects.
However, I agree with what he said about in order to be creative you must be willing to be wrong. I do believe that this is a wonderful thing for all educators to know. In my opinion, all kids should be taught this. Many adults have the fear of being wrong, and this steals from their creativity. Kids rarely care if they are wrong or not, and I believe that this is why young children grow out of creativity, as MR.Robinson said.

HARNESS YOUR STUDENTS' DIGITAL SMARTS
Vicki Davis has a very good approach to teaching her children. She allows them to use the internet to connect to people all over the world from their rule town in Georgia. I believe that all kids should learn how to use the computer and internet responsibly.
She has taken on a very innovated approach to teaching. I applaud her on all that she has accomplished with her curriculum. She has allowed these students to expand their learning from more than just a book, a pen, and a piece of paper. If we do not start teaching our students to use computers and the internet properly, they will be far behind the rest of the world when they begin to run this country.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Hailey! I also felt the same way about the Did You Know? video. I felt as if there was so much more to learn. I also like your idea to end the Mr. Winkle Wakes video with 'Some things never change.' You took the words right out of my mouth. I also agreed with Mr. Robinson when he said that in order to be creative you must be willing to be wrong as well. I think there is no right way to be creative. Sometimes creativity is not always what you want it to turn out to be as well. I also applaud Mrs. Davis for what she has accomplished with her curriculum. It is so important for students to expand their learning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Hailey!

    Regarding "Did You Know", when considering videos like this one keep in mind that the producer is making a point and expressing his perspective and agenda. For example, India has a greater number of honors students because they have have a much larger population. This is not necessarily a reflection on the state of education in the US as the video would lead you to believe.

    You mentioned in a couple of places teaching students to use the computer responsibly. I agree completely. This is an extremely important point that many overlook.

    Don't forget to proof read your post. Keep up the good work. SS

    ReplyDelete